Monday, October 7, 2019

Downhaul: Kings of the Richmond Scene

My family moved to Richmond in the Summer of 2018 and I promptly started college at New York University, not giving a damn about the capitol of Richmond. When I came back after my freshman year, I saw that Remo Drive was playing at the Broadberry and I hopped on the chance to see them live. Of course, Remo absolutely killed it, but I discovered a new band while I was there: Downhaul. I was immediately captivated by what I saw. A clean, but intense guitar tone with a slight southern drawl at the microphone while the bassist jumped up and down relentlessly and the sixteen people up near the stage where screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs. After a shouted "And that's something I've got to live with!" at the end of Grace Days, came the kicker. "Hey," said Pat, the bassist who had forgotten his bass strap. "We're Downhaul, and we're from... here, Richmond." I went to the merch stand after Downhaul's set and started bubbling to Pat about how much I loved their set and how I wanted to see them whenever I could. He immediately let me know when the next show was. It was the first step I ever took to underground music.

If I had to call Downhaul a genre, I would say Southern Emo (yes, I made it up). The elements of indie and math rock converge very similarly to Midwestern Emo, but there are quite a few things that are very distinct. For example, it's slight, but you can hear a slight southern twang in Gordon's voice. Sometimes the strum patterns feel like they could fit in with a folk ensemble. But it's still a driving, emotional delivery that the fans lose their minds to, screaming the lyrics and moshing out of control. The mathy emotional goodness of Tiny Moving Parts with the subtlety of The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die.

BUY THEIR SHIT! FOLLOW THEM!
https://www.facebook.com/downhaul/
https://downhaul.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment